Saturday, September 6, 2014

1st Year Complete

It is hard to believe I have already accomplished an entire year of graduate school. It has definitely been a roller coaster ride, but I have grown so much in the last year. My fall courses have started and so far they are great. One class is a very in-depth discussion-based course on various topics within the cardiovascular field and the other is a prep course for my qualifying exams (which I hope to take next year). I have been working very hard in the lab (with some very long days) but I am really excited to take off with experiments and development of my project. Things are really starting to come together in my brain, and that is a great feeling.

In my last post, I mentioned I was trying to get back to a healthier version of me. Well I really committed and must say that I am pleased with my progress so far. I have been keeping track of everything I eat in the MyFitnessPal app (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/) and it has really helped me stay focused and be intentional about what I eat. It is a really great app and I highly recommend it. It has a very large database of food and a bar code scanner that will just load the nutritional information into the app for you. It allows you to pick your own goals and keep track of not only what you eat, but also your weight and exercise. Although it is sometimes very difficult to get exercise in due to work, I don't let missing a day (or two or five) bring me down. I don't look at it as starting over - life happens and that is okay. I just fit in exercise when I can. Some weeks I can work out every day, and some maybe just one day. I've already lost 7lbs, which is really encouraging. I am beginning to feel much stronger physically and mentally. I have also signed up to participate in the 2014 Ride to Defeat ALS in Tampa on November 8th. It is a 25 mile bike ride and I need to raise at least $250 to participate. I am over halfway there so far, but still need to raise a bit more. If you would like to support me, you can go to my personal fundraising page at http://web.alsa.org/goto/jmeeg. Thank you so much for those who have already shown their support!

The summer bible study I was co-leading went pretty well. I am really excited to start our new study next week. I am so grateful for the time I have been able to share with the ladies in our group and am looking forward to our continued growth, getting closer to each other and to God. I have never met such an encouraging, motivating, and strong group of women, and am so blessed to be a part of it.

Other than my every day life, some exciting things are coming up. Chris and I are hosting a very good friend of ours next week and then we get to join our other close friends at Disney next weekend! Also, my parents have booked their flights to visit for Christmas and I couldn't be more excited. Fingers crossed my sister gets to join them! Chris's parents will also be visiting around the same time. I absolutely cannot wait. It is going to be such an amazing time. I have a lot to get done before then, though. Please pray for me to stay focused and motivated!

Well I need to wrap it up so I can get ready for work (yes-on a Saturday). As always, thanks to all my life supporters. I clearly have the best family and friends.

I'll end this one with my latest motto quoted from William Shakespeare: "Though she be but little, she is fierce."


1 comment: